Monday, July 30, 2018

The Random and Unconditional Kindness of Strangers


Mass shootings are continuing.  Our politicians and government officials are at conflict with one another.  People are continually coming forward with stories of horrific alleged and documented assaults.  Homelessness is at an all time high. Student debt. Adult debt. Increased aging producing increased poverty, Alzheimer’s. Global warming. Personally, I had minimal reaction when my Aunt text’d me from another state that the Trader Joe’s...

that I have frequented was in a hostage situation. Jaded numbed and unbewildered.


So maybe we need to do something.  I’m not talking about ignoring or praying or delusionalizing ourselves.  But perhaps we should just be kinder. I think this is the time we need to share more feel good stories and help others - more than we have in recent times.  I’m not saying you have to donate your kidney (yes, that is on the list of good stories) but why not symbolically mow the lawn when your neighbor is in the hospital.  Bake an extra cake for the neighbor when their kid returns from her first year of college.

With that being said I recently met someone in line at my new favorite ice cream store Salt & Straw (thank goodness I don’t live near the store as it is pricy and I don’t really need the unnecessary sugar, dairy, and calories).  We talked and we were having that flow that occurs when you instantly like someone’s personality while knowing you will never see them again.  I had an impulse to pay for his ice cream and so I did. I left the establishment only to be chased down with a “why did you do that?” The intent was to just do the nice thing and to not have the conversation about it.  However, the end result was the unexpected. The curiosity of the why. The easy connect of the kindness of strangers. The next thing I know we ended up hanging out a few weeks after having ice cream. I met a serious outdoorsman and a Mt. Everest type of guy.  A guy that is connected with his spirituality. A person that I could include in my circle of friends as he has no negative mindset. I met someone that is doing what I have been pondering for the past few years -- a world traveler. A positive human experience all due to an unconditional.  Hence, I need to be kinder and maybe that kindness will develop into meaning.

Photo by Matt Collamer on Unsplash
Photo by Sandrachile . on Unsplash
Photo by Jonas Wurster on Unsplash

Read more about Dr. Strayhorn's practice and philosophy...

No comments:

Post a Comment